Re: debug environment for NCL?

From: Sam McClatchie (NOAA Federal) <sam.mcclatchie_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jun 14 2013 - 11:09:51 MDT

On 06/14/2013 10:00 AM, Adam Phillips wrote:
> Hi Sam,
> I think you want to use the exit statement:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/exit.shtml
>
> I use this all the time when debugging to stop scripts at a particular
> place after I use
> print or printVarSummary.
>
> If I'm off on what you are after let me (+ncl-talk) know..
> Adam

Adam Phillipsasphilli@ucar.edu
NCAR/Climate and Global Dynamics Division (303) 497-1726
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli

Thanks Adam -- I do use the exit statement to stop a script, but as soon
as you exit, unless I misunderstand, you are no longer in the workspace
environment and the temporary variables are no longer available to work
with. I can use print commands in the script before exit, but is more
cumbersome than examining variables in a workspace of a halted script.
For example it might occur to me after examining a variable that I
printed, that I should look at a couple of other variables that I did
not explicitly print.

Sam

--
Sam McClatchie,
Supervisory oceanographer, Fisheries oceanography