Specifying new time format when changing units

From: <wanda7_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Jun 30 2013 - 18:40:21 MDT

Hi,

I want to change the units of the time variable in a time,lev,lat,lon
variable (relative humidity) from

 "days since 1800-01-01 00:00:0.0"

to YYYYMMDD (and then after subsetting 1 year from a 200 year dataset I want
to change time format to day-of-year number)

I've tried using

time1 = time_to_newtime(time,"calendar_year month day")
and
time1 = time_to_newtime(time,"yyyymmdd")

but keep getting an error message when I try to run the script:

fatal:ut_inv_calendar: Invalid specification string
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 12169 in file
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

I realise that the new_time_unit string has to be a "udunits" recognized
string indicating the unit of the new time variable. But I've looked for a
list of recognised strings to choose from and can't find any.

Can anyone tell me how to specify that I want the new format to be
year-month-day? (and then day of year)

Thank you for your advice.

Wanda