Re: Turbulent kinetic energy

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 25 2013 - 16:44:59 MDT

You can use the direct method to read *any* variable off a wrf output file. For example, if the variable is called "TKE":

  a = addfile("wrfout.nc","r")
  tke = a->TKE

You can then plot "tke" like you do any other variable that you read with "wrf_user_getvar".

You can also use "wrf_user_getvar" to pull off "TKE" directly:

  tke = wrf_user_getvar(a,"TKE",-1)

If you need to do cross sections, you can also do this like you do any other variable. See the WRF examples on cross sections at:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_examples.htm

Please do not email me directly if you have further questions about this. Questions should be directed to wrfhelp@ucar.edu if you have questions about WRF data, or to ncl-talk@ucar.edu if you have NCL-specific questions.

You can read our posting guidelines at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/posting_guidelines.shtml

Thanks for your consideration,

--Mary