calculating SLA from ROMS output

From: Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu (BE) <u.utku.turuncoglu_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 18 2013 - 01:19:10 MDT

Hi,

I try to compare the Sea Surface Height (SSH) output of the ROMS model
with AVISO SLA (Sea Level Anomaly) product. I know that ROMS SSH
includes both Mean Dynamic Topography (MDT) and SLA and i think that i
have to remove MDT from the ROMS output to compare it with AVISO SLA. I
wrote following NCL script to do that

   yy = tointeger(datem(:,0))
   yy1 = tointeger(min(yy))
   yy2 = tointeger(max(yy))
   do i = yy1, yy2
     indx = ind(yy .eq. i)
     ann_avg = dim_avg_n(var1m(indx,:,:), (/ 0 /))
     var1m(indx,:,:) = var1m(indx,:,:)-conform(var1m(indx,:,:), ann_avg,
   end do

it basically removes the annual mean from the modeled monthly averaged
values but the result is totally different form the AVISO product. I
think that i am doing something wrong. I just wonder that is there
anybody that already compared the AVISO data with ROMS output? Any
suggestions or code snippets could help. By the way, my domain is in the
Black Sea and AVISO does not have MDT product in this region.

Regards,

--ufuk