how to handle varying variable name in list of grib files

From: samir pokhrel <samir_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jul 19 2013 - 05:57:18 MDT

Dear NCL users,

I have a series of daily forecast (in grib2 format) from GFS T574 of
varying hours

the first day forcast has 3 hour intervals (6 files)
the 2nd to 5th day forecast has 6 hour intervals (4 files each day for 4
days = total 16 files)
the 6th day forecast has 12 hour intervals (i.e 2 files)
and the 7th (last) day forecast has 24 hour interval (i.e 1 file)

so total I have 25 forecast file of one day

I am reading all this file together using addfiles and also adding the
extra time dimension using setfileoption

it is working fine with all other variable (viz. wind, temp etc), however
in case of precipitaion the variable name varies in each file so I am not
able to retrieve it

Now I am having following two queries on these data

First Query

1) How to handle same variable with different name in different files so I
can club them all together for further analysis

File Name Variable Name
gfs.t00z.pgrbf03.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave3h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf06.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave6h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf09.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave9h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf12.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf18.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave18h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf24.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf30.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave6h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf36.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf42.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave18h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf48.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf54.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave6h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf60.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf66.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave18h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf72.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf78.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave6h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf84.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf90.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave18h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf96.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf102.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave6h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf108.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf114.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave18h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf120.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf132.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave12h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf144.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h
gfs.t00z.pgrbf168.grb PRATE_4_SFC_ave24h

Second Query

2) How to put time value of irregular interval in the clubbed variable of
all 25 files together

Hope I am clear enough to make you all understand the issues.

Thanks you all in advance.

Regards

Samir Pokhrel
Climate and Global Modelling Division
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
NCL Post, Pashan
Pune-411008
INDIA