Byte array

From: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 11:09:08 MDT

Hi,

I'm working with CloudSat hdf4-eos files using NCL version 6.1.
In the CloudSat file, the Data_Quality variable in the hdf file is of type
"byte".
Is there a function to check which byte is set? For example, how do I check
other variable arrays using mask or where, with the condition that
Data_quality is 0? I tried the function byte2flt, but this fails. The
problem is that in the CloudSat docs, the Data_quality flag is set to 0 if
the data is good. Otherwise the data is bad. After NCL reads the variable,
the _FillValue is set to 0.

Variable: Data_quality
Type: byte
Total Size: 20820 bytes
            20820 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [nray_2C_ICE | 20820]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 3
  _FillValue : 0
  unsigned : True
  hdfeos_name : Data_quality

Another strange thing is that when the hdd file is converted to netcdf, the
ncdump shows much of, if not all of the data as containing: '-', not
values.

Appreciate little info on how to treat byte arrays.

/M

--
Only the fruitful thing is true!