mask 2D lat/lon grid with 1D shapefile

From: Leif Truelsen <truelsen.leif_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Aug 26 2013 - 20:32:55 MDT

Hi all,

I am looking to extract an area weighted average of gridded data using a
shape file. I am following the basic procedure of the shapefiles_9.ncl
example (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/shapefiles_9.ncl).
 Basically, it reads the 1D lat/lon ranges from the shapefile and uses
these ranges to mask the original 1D gridded data.

Like the example, I have a shapefile in a geographic projection with single
dimension x and y values (in degrees). My problem is that my gridded data
is in a rotated lat/lon grid (time,y,x). The longitude and latitude
variables both have two dimensions (y, x). I can't seem to wrap my head
around how to mask these data using a shapefile in a standard 1D grid. Any
help would be gratefully received.

Best,
Leif