Re: do me a favor:how to speed up when plotting figures using ncl with a large wrf data(more than 120G)

From: Mohamed Abdel Kader <m.abdelkader_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 13:17:52 MDT

Hello,
you can also skip plotting grid points to reduce the plotted data size and check the output if you like it. I assume that your grid is about 1000x1000 or more.
For instant, gsm_csm_contour_map(wks, precp(::2,::2), res), here you skip 2 points in each direct and get 4x speed up.
if you need more advanced technique you can regrid the data to lower resolution conserving the properties of the precipitation using area_conserve_remap_Wrap

Could you please provide the grid size and the output figure size just to check that the problem is no in I/O

Good luck

On Sep 13, 2013, at 3:45 AM, "Yang Yuhua" <yangyh@mail.typhoon.gov.cn> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have got a large wrfout file(all data in one file ,more than 120G), I found it’s very slow when I plotting the figures, such as precipitation or temperature at 2m, Would you like give me some suggestion about how to speed up plotting?? Or should I split the large files into smaller files?

Best Regards
Mohamed M. Abdel Kader
Atmosphere and Climate Modelling Group
Research Assistant/PhD Candidate