reading remss binary data in ncl

From: samir pokhrel <samir_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2013 - 04:44:27 MDT

Dear NCL users,

 I am trying to read binary SSMI data from REMSS site.

The data is in written as a character in lat and lon array and read in
fortran90 as

CHARACTER(1) abuf(1440,720,4)
          READ(3,rec=1) abuf

then converted using ICHAR function of fortran as follows.

ssmi_data(:,:)=ICHAR(abuf(:,:))

I am reading the first record of this data as

wind = fbinrecread (dpath + infile,0,(/1440,720/),"ubyte")

will "ubyte" be approprate type here?

secondly

Is there any NCL function similar to fortran ichar function.

Any help will be highly appreciated

Sincerely
Samir

--