Re: mergetime with different time units

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 25 2013 - 13:21:38 MDT

[Please ignore my previous message, somehow my mailer sent out a draft
that was incomplete.]
-----------------
NCO utilities have this capability built in to recent versions. It is
an extremely simple and robust solution for this problem, if you do
not mind creating a new concatenated file. They call this "time
rebasing".

Here is an overview of a straightforward method for NCL. There is
more than one way to do this:

1. Use the cd_calendar function to decode the time coordinates of
each file into time series of separate date numbers year, month, day,
hour, etc. You will get arrays (N1, 6) and (N2, 6). See the function
documentation.

2. Concatenate these two decoded arrays. You should now have a
single array (N, 6) where N is the total number of time steps (N1 +
N2), and 6 is the dimension for the separated year, month, day, etc.
numbers.

3. As needed, concatenate the associated data arrays along the time dimension.

4. If needed, you can re-encode the time coordinates back to CF-style
time coordinates, by using cd_inv_calendar on the concatenated
date/time array from step (2). For the unit string, recycle the time
unit string from the EARLIEST data being concatenated. You could also
use a different unit string of your choice, if you are careful about
roundoff error. HTH.

Please reply only to the user list.

--Dave