Re: Cross-section plot produced terrain height much lower than it has to be.

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 01 2013 - 09:52:26 MDT

Dear Sangeeta,

You have to be careful when using gsn_csm_xy to overlay an XY plot on WRF plots using wrf_overlays, because I believe wrf_overlays simply lines up the four corners of all of your plots, and doesn't do any kind of mathematical calculation to project the data from one plot into the space of another plot. wrf_overlays assumes that your plots already are in the exact same range as each other.

When you create contour_ter using gsn_csm_xy, you need to make sure the Y axis min/max values (and ditto for the X axis values) are the same as they are for all of the other WRF contour plots. I see that you are sort of doing this using:

        opts_ter@trYMaxF = zmax*1000

is zmax*1000 the exact value of upper Y limit of all your contour plots? What about the exact lower Y limit of all your plots? This needs to be the same as well

You can verify what the trYMinF and trYMaxF values for all of your plots with this code:

;---Retrieve the Y limits for each plot and print them out
       getvalues contour_ter
          "trYMinF" : ymin_ter
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_ter
       end getvalues
       getvalues contour_tc
          "trYMinF" : ymin_tc
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_tc
       end getvalues
       getvalues contour_rh
          "trYMinF" : ymin_rh
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_rh
       end getvalues
       getvalues contour_tc2
          "trYMinF" : ymin_tc2
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_tc2
       end getvalues
       getvalues contour_rh2
          "trYMinF" : ymin_rh2
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_rh2
       end getvalues
       getvalues vector
          "trYMinF" : ymin_vct
          "trYMaxF" : ymax_vct
       end getvalues

       print("ymin_ter / ymax_ter = " + ymin_ter + "/" + ymax_ter)
       print("ymin_tc / ymax_tc = " + ymin_tc + "/" + ymax_tc)
       print("ymin_rh / ymax_rh = " + ymin_rh + "/" + ymax_rh)
       print("ymin_tc2 / ymax_tc2 = " + ymin_tc2 + "/" + ymax_tc2)
       print("ymin_rh2 / ymax_rh2 = " + ymin_rh2 + "/" + ymax_rh2)
       print("ymin_vct / ymax_vct = " + ymin_vct + "/" + ymax_vct)

If these are not all the same, then your overlaid plots are going to be incorrect.

--Mary