Re: Calculate differences between two data sets

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 10 2013 - 13:16:17 MDT

Hi Lifen,
I only looked into the reasons why your script was not executing. I removed the characters using a text editor. I can't remember if I used vi or emacs, but I just used normal text editing actions to delete the characters.
Perhaps you use some other text editor that doesn't show these characters. In vi or emacs it looks like this (on my Mac):

¡¡ printVarSummary(t1)
¡¡¡¡
    t1@_FillValue = 999
    t1@missing_value = t1@_FillValue
    t1 = where(t1 .eq. 0, t1@_FillValue, t1)
¡¡¡¡

whereas in the Mac TextEdit tool it appears like this:

°° printVarSummary(t1)
°°°°
    t1@_FillValue = 999
    t1@missing_value = t1@_FillValue
    t1 = where(t1 .eq. 0, t1@_FillValue, t1)
°°°°

1e+20 is the original _FillValue for your t2 variable. It should get propagated as the _FillValue of the result, but it appears not to be behaving correctly. I will investigate this.
Meantime, in order to work around this, assign the t2 _FillValue to the t1 variable prior to the subtraction.
Using dble2flt works for me. Here is a new version of the script that should give you what you want (although you might want to reassign the missing_value attribute to match the _FillValue -- or just delete it).

    load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

    f1 = addfile("Regrid.Revised.nc", "r")
    f2 = addfile("regrid_2000_bcc-csm1-1.nc", "r")

    t1 = dble2flt(f1->regrid) ; t1(lat,lon)
    t2 = f2->regrid ; t2(lat,lon)
    printVarSummary(t1)
    printVarSummary(t2)

    t1@_FillValue = t2@_FillValue
    t1 = where(t1 .eq. 0, t1@_FillValue, t1)

    printMinMax(t1,0)
    printMinMax(t2,0)
    d = t2 - t1 ; difference
    copy_VarMeta (t1, d)
    d@long_name = "diff"
    printVarSummary(d)
    print("d: min="+min(d)+" max="+max(d))

    system("/bin/rm -f Diff_BCC.nc")
    fout = addfile("Diff_BCC.nc", "c") ; new netCDF file
    fout@title = "Difference"
    fout->DIFF = d

-dave