variable with zero elements

From: Prince K XAVIER <prince.xavier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Oct 18 2013 - 03:09:06 MDT

Hi NCL-talk,

I encountered a very strange problem when writing an NCL script to read a
WRF output file.
Basically this wrfout file has not been written properly and I fail to read
the XLAT/XLONG/T2 information.
When I ncl_filedump, it correctly shows “ Dimensions and sizes [Time | XXX]
x [south_north | XXX] x [west_east | XXX]”.
But when we do a lat = f-> XLAT and print(lat), it shows the correct
dimensions, but with no elements in the array.

Is there a way to check whether a variable in a file has valid elements?

Thanks,
Prince