Re: Vertically integrated moisture

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 15 2013 - 08:52:49 MST

Hi Guilherme,

This is a problem with your understanding of the equation more than
anything. If you are calculating via the equation you've included in your
email, you are actually calculating a vertically integrated moisture flux,
a very different quantity than just moisture. If the flux is what you are
trying to calculate, then this is doing a fine job. Otherwise, if you are
just calculating vertically integrated moisture, there is no need to
include any wind information in your calculations. Lastly, your units are
aligned in such a way to give you somewhat larger numbers - feel free to
multiply them out to ensure their validity and that they are what you
desire.

There does not appear to be any NCL-related issue here, however.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu