Re: wrf_user_ll_to_ij function

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 13:31:29 MST

Hi Xin,

When you use "where", you will get all the lat/lon points that fall within the region you've defined.

When you use wrf_user_ll_to_ij, it's just giving you the location of the two min points, and the location of the two max points in the array. When you subscript the array with these indexes, the points in this range don't necessarily represent every point in the range, but rather a rectangular box. And, in fact, this rectangular box may give you values outside your range.

A graphic is the best way to show this. The attached graphic shows a full WRF lat/lon grid on the top, and then the two bottom plots show the two different subsetting methods, where the navy blue points represent the min/max lat and lon.

--Mary