Missing value in SVD function

From: Eunsil Jung <eunsil.jung_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat Nov 09 2013 - 11:04:05 MST

Dear NCL developer and/or someone who has experience in SVD function

I'm new to NCL and have a question for the SVD function.
It is attached two figures (the first component) generated with the
SVD function.

First figure: There is no missing data for my input data
Second : I set Fill_Value for the land. So land is filled with Fill_value.

Then, I realized that the output patterns are quite similar to each other.
Can I use the second figure (that is generated with missing data over
the land), if I only interested in the Ocean? Because I've got bunch
of warning messages while the program is running (for the second
figure), I'm not sure whether I could use (and/or rely on) the
results.

The reason that I'm curious about it is; for the observation data such
as SST, there is no data over the land. Then, can I still use SVD
function for the case?

Thank you so much
Sil

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks all circumstances.

RSMAS/MPO
4600 Rickenbacker cswy
Miami FL 33149

Phone: