Re: spectral Analysis

From: Maria Gehne - NOAA Affiliate <maria.gehne_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jul 18 2014 - 11:25:27 MDT

Hi Paul,

when you do a spectral analysis the lowest frequency you can resolve is 1/N
if N is the length of your time series. The highest frequency is 0.5/10mins
in your case, so half a cycle in 10 minutes. Or in general half a cycle in
the time interval. The frequency units will be 1cycle/time unit so in your
case cycles/10min. To get to cycles/min divide the frequency vector by 10.

It helps if you know certain signals in your data and what frequency they
should be at. That's a good sanity check when computing spectra to make
sure the frequency units are correct.

Hope this helps,
Maria