Re: add topography in the lon-height cross section plot

From: Karin Meier-Fleischer <meier-fleischer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2014 - 11:33:51 MDT

Hi,

for the topography you can use the ETOPO data set from
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/
used in the NCL examples

     http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/topo.shtml

To save time it is much faster to convert the data once to a netCDF file
and work only
with the netCDF file.

Example:
begin
;-- read converted ETOPO1 data file
   f = addfile("$HOME/data/ETOPO/ETOPO1.nc","r")

;-- lat = 20, all lon
   lat_val = 45
   lon_min = 5.
   lon_max = 10.

   topo = f->elev({lat_val},{lon_min:lon_max})
   lon = f->lon({lon_min:lon_max})

;-- open a workstation
   wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","plot_topography_slice")

;---Set some resources for contouring and mapping
   res = True
   res@trXMinF = lon_min ;-- min value for x-axis
   res@trXMaxF = lon_max ;-- max value for x-axis
   res@trYMinF = 0. ;-- min value for y-axis
   res@gsnYRefLine = 0. ;-- create a
reference line
   res@gsnAboveYRefLineColor = "gray25" ;-- above ref line
fill gray25

;-- create the plot
   plot = gsn_csm_xy(wks,lon,topo,res)

end

Bye,
Karin

Am 15.07.14 17:29, schrieb Erika Folova:
> Thanks Adam and Tabish,
>
> Unfortunately I am not using WRF output, so i cant used this function
> http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/CROSS_SECTION/wrf_CrossSection1.htm
>
> Adam, would you please demonstrate it with a small script how to add
> the topography/ topographic line in the hovmueller diagram using
> pressure data?? I still have no idea how do execute it. Any easy way
> for instance to mask with the topography data?
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli@ucar.edu
> <mailto:asphilli@ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi Erika,
> You could use gsn_add_polygon to add a filled polygon at the
> bottom of your Hovmoller plot. The question would be how to get
> the topographic line that you will fill beneath. (Use the surface
> pressure field to create one?)
>
> Another graphical alternative is to again use a surface pressure
> field and mask your flux data when it falls beneath the surface
> pressure.
>
> Hope that all helps! If not, or if you have further questions,
> please respond to the ncl-talk email list only.
> Adam
>

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Erika Folova <e.folova@gmail.com
> <mailto:e.folova@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Dear NCL,
>
> Anyone can suggest me how can I add the topography in the
> lon-height cross section plot as i attached in
> this email. Is there any trick to do that since the data that
> i used have a complete data till 1000 hPa.
> Thank you
>
> Erika,

> Adam Phillips
> Associate Scientist, Climate and Global Dynamics Division, NCAR
> www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/
> <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/> 303-497-1726
> <tel:303-497-1726>

Dipl. Geophys. Karin Meier-Fleischer
Application Support, Visualization

Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum GmbH E-Mail: meier-fleischer@dkrz.de
Bundesstrasse 45a Internet: http://www.dkrz.de/
20146 Hamburg Phone: +49 (0)40 460094 126
Germany Fax: +49 (0)40 460094 270

Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Prof. Dr. Thomas Ludwig
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 39784