running ncl on a compute node of a cluster

From: Po-Lun Ma <pma_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jan 01 2010 - 16:27:19 MST

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year!

I have a question: I have always run NCL on the management node of a
cluster without any problem. However, it is sort of slow when I need to
run several NCL scripts at the same time while other people are also
using the management node to compile a program or do some other work.
So, I am attempting to submit a NCL script to the compute node of a
cluster.

However, the cluster I am using does not make every compute node to load
all libraries to make the compute node simpler and therefore faster.
That causes a problem because the compute nodes do not have all the
libraries required for running NCL, for example, the X11-related
libraries. In fact, since I only need to run a NCL script to read in
data, use the built-in functions to do some calculations, and produce a
plot (ps file) or a ASCII file, I actually do not need to have X11
libraries, but I do not know how to "turn off" X11 features in NCL.

Can someone help me with submitting a NCL job to a compute node (that do
not have X11 libraries) of a cluster?

Thanks for your help.

Po-Lun