Fwd: [ncl-install] Nio.open_file problem : object.__init__() takes no parameters

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 - 12:34:51 MST

Hi Mary,
I started to answer this message, but then I realized how many changes
there have been to PyNIO since the the 1.3.0b1 release. I could tell
him just to change the offending line

  super(_Proxy, self).__init__(obj)
super(_Proxy, self).__init__()

as required by Python 2.6 and it will eliminate the particular error
he is getting, but it still would not have a lot of changes that have
happened since then. I am thinking maybe there should be a blanket
notice to users that if they are having problems they can get a new
binary and where to get it. Does this seem at all feasible or should I
just tell that to Sourish? I know it could be a lot of work so maybe
just keeping it limited to individuals is a better idea. I don't want
to cause you extra work especially since it is a particularly hard
period we are going through now. What do you think?

I see that there was another message from him as well that suggests
maybe he got through this issue but found another problem. It is hard
to help him when our version is so different from what he has. I am
not sure what to do.

FYI, I started to compose a message with this introduction:
------
You are right that we do not have a pyngl-install mailing list, so it
is hard to know where to post installation messages that concern
PyNGL/PyNIO particularly. I am not sure if we have established a
policy about this.

Also we apologize that we are late with a new release of PyNGL/PyNIO.
We are making some fairly major changes to NCL, many of which will be
automatically available to the PyNGL/PyNIO community, but we need to
get the next NCL release out the door before we can get to a new
Python tool release.
-----
  -dave

Begin forwarded message: