Re: problem running graphics

From: Craig Miller <cmiller_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 09:52:23 MDT

Mary

I hope you don't mind revisiting an old thread, but I've just
encountered a similar problem to the one that Ben had. In my case I
definitely had the X11 libraries installed, because I could successfully
execute the command 'ng4ex gsun01n' and get an X11 window. On trying to
execute the command 'ncargex cpex08' however I ended up with the same
error that Ben had. Trying your suggestion to use the '-L' option to
specify the location of the libXext library also failed.

The problem appears to be that many Linux distributions only have the
library components needed to run X11 applications. If you want to
compile code that includes the X11 libraries you have to make sure that
you have also downloaded the associated development packages in addition
to the standard library packages. In my case downloading and installing
the libXext development package solved the problem.

Craig