Re: ncl: command not found

From: Daniel Packman <pack_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2010 - 10:47:06 MDT

On Sep 2, 2010, at Sep 2 10:26 AM, Neil Berg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My system administrator installed NCL on our new Linux x86_64 computer
> using gcc version 4.4.3. The administrator instructed us to set the
> environment variable using "setenv NCARG_ROOT /opt/ncarg" (he was
> prompted this after compiling). The default shell is tcsh, so I added
> that line to my .tcshrc file. When typing "ncl -V" for a quick test
> to see if NCL is working, I receive "ncl: command not found." Should
> I be setting the environment variables elsewhere?

The NCARG_ROOT environment variable is only part of the installation issue.
The other is your PATH. A default install in /opt/ncarg means that
/opt/ncarg/bin
should be added to your path. Or you can set an alias for ncl pointing
it to /opt/ncarg/bin/ncl

> Moreover, I have written all my previous scripts in bash- will there
> be any issues calling ncl routines in a bash script even though the
> environment variables were set using tcsh?

If you start the scripts from your interactive shell, they should inherit
your environment variables.