Re: Compiler Issues

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 11:16:15 MST

On Mar 4, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Fowler, Padriac C (E R WP AM TI) wrote:

> Dear NCL Install,
>
> After discovering the attributes of our system, we installed NCL using the precompiled binary for Redhat Linux x86_64 for NCL version 5.2.1. After following the instructions for setting up our environment correctly everything seemed to work fine when we'd try to run NCL with our WRF output (we have made many NCL plots without issue). However, plotgrids.exe and plotgrids.ncl never built in our WPS/util directory. Is this because we are building everything (WRF, WPS...) with PGI compilers, and the precompiled binary of NCL was built using gfortran? Is there a precompiled binary for our redhat linux x86_64 system that was built with PGI compilers. We have gotten our feet wet trying to install NCL from source code by altering the LINUX ymake file...but this seems incredibly complicated and not without inevitable errors.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --Padriac Fowler and Paul Quelet

Yes, the problem is likely that you are trying to link against libraries that were built with gfortran. You can use the PGI compilers to link against the NCL libraries, but there will be some gfortran references in the libraries that will have to be resolved by including "-lgfortran" on the final load line in your WPS/WRF make system.

Are you trying to avoid installing gfortran on your system? If not, my recommendation is to install gfortran so that you can get the "libgfortran.x" files. Then, it should simply be a matter of including "-lgfortran" on the final load lines in the WPS/WRF Makefiles. You will need to download a version of gfortran that is the closest in version as the NCL precompiled binary that you download.

If you don't want to install gfortran, then I will be happy to help you build a PGI version of NCL for your system. If you are only interested in the libraries from NCL and not the "ncl' application itself, then you can bypass a lot of the external software packages required, because these are only needed for the "ncl" application. This will make the build a lot eaiser.

Let me know if you want to go the source route, and I'll help. My one requirement is that I would like to make these PGI binaries available to our users, if possible.

--Mary