Rescale ncgms without regenerating them?

From: steve piper (piper AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 18:26:00 MST

ncl-talk AT ucar.edu

Hi,

I would like to do the following 2 tasks with ncgm files made by NCAR 4.1.1:

1) create postscript output at arbritary scale for both x and y dimensions.
     For example, I can plot an ncgm file to a postscript printer
       with a particular graphcap at 4" x 5". Now, without re-making
       the ncgm file, I want to make the postscript output 5"x8".

2) plot multiple ncgm files to the same postscript page at arbitrary locations
      including overlaying the output.

I assume that I can do this in Adobe Illustrator after making postscript files
from the ncgms; however, this is time consuming, particularly if I want to
do this 20 times.

In the old 1980s VAX/VMS/Ray Bovet version of the pre-GKS NCAR
package, there was a metacode translator called "plot" that could perform
the functions I list above except that I don't think a postscript driver was
ever implemented. This was very simple to use, for example to scale two plots
and overlay them:

    $ plot
       device qms # qms laser printer using quic language
       window 0., 10., 0., 10. # dimensions in inches
       read iop020.dat.1
       plot
       save
       read iop020.dat.2
       plot
       exit

And to put 2 plots on a page at arbitrary locations in the lower left and upper right:

    $ plot
       device qms # qms laser printer using quic language
       window 0., 5., 0., 5.
       read iop020.dat.1
       plot
       save
       window 5., 10., 5., 10.
       read iop020.dat.2
       plot
       exit

Is there a tool for doing this? Can NCL do this, and easily?
As an alternative, I have looked around for simple tools to scale
postscript files - the ps utilities (e.g., psresize, psscale) of Andrew
Duggan (I think) look promising but don't seem to do the trick easily.
Is there another simple tool for manipulating ps files?

Thanks, Steve

Dr. Stephen C. Piper
Geosciences Research Division
Scripps Institution of Oceanography