NCL available for MacOSX

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 15:05:40 MST

    NCL users,

    I am pleased to announce that we have NCL binaries available for
    MacOSX.

    To download these binaries, go to
    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html, fill out the form, and click
    on "submit" which will give you an available list of binaries.

    Before you do this, you will first want to install "XonX" (which gives
    you an X server on which to display your graphics) and "dlcompat"
    which is necessary in order to run ncl.

    To install and launch Xonx:

         1. Go to http://sf.net/projects/xonx
         2. Click on "Download" under the "Latest File Releases" box
         3. Right-click on "XInstall_10.1.sit" and do a "save as" to save
            the file.
         4. Once you have this file, double-click it from your Mac to
            install the X stuff.
         5. You should see a big red X on your tool bar at the bottom (if
            not, try logging out and logging back in) . If you
            double-click it, it will launch XFree86, and provide you with
            some terminal windows to type in. I was able to setenv
            DISPLAY to 0:0, and then run "ng4ex xy01n -clean" and
            "ctrans -d X11 gmeta" and other applications.

    Also, if you are having trouble running NCL because of error messages
    about "can't open library /sw/lib/libdl.dylib", then you will need to
    install the dl library, which doesn't come with native MacOSX.

    To install this library, you need to get the "dlcompat" package which
    is available through fink:

         fink install dlcompat

    If you don't have fink, then I *highly* recommend you install this
    package, because it allows you to easily install other software
    packages available for MacOSX. Fink is available from
    fink.sourceforge.net.

    Cheers,

    --Mary Haley