Re: Plotting grid on map without long-lat coordinates

From: Heiko Klein (Heiko.Klein AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 01:39:29 MDT

Hi Sylvia,

thanks a lot to point me to the right pages. I think I have to get much
more accustomed to your page. I have now printed the longitude/latitude
lines on the plots, but still have some problems.

The problem with the tickmarks: I don't want longitude tickmarks, but of
my native grid, to find cell 67x98 easier.
But neither the res@pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always" (not for grid, not
for longitude), and even setting tmXB to explicit, labelsON and setting
explicit values as described in you link, doesn't help.

I just tried to plot
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/native.shtml
native_4.ncl. I included my data and added explicit values for
 res@mpLambertParallel1F = 30.
 res@mpLambertParallel2F = 55.
 res@mpLambertMeridianF = 45.
 res@mpLeftCornerLatF = 86.31 ; left lower corner
 res@mpLeftCornerLonF = -133.31 ; 0.5 111.5
 res@mpRightCornerLatF = 20.21 ; right upper corner
 res@mpRightCornerLonF = 16.68 ; 132.5 0.5
I didn't get ticks. I get some warnings, maybe they
are connected to the problem:
fahik@polar:~/Programme/NCL$ ncl < native_4.ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2001 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a022
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/ for more details.
warning:Dimension (0) has not been defined
(0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) Valid latitude names include:
(0) 'lat' 'Lat' 'Latitude' 'LAT' 'latitude' 'LATITUDE' 'hlat' 'lat_u' 'lat_t' 'yc'
warning:Dimension (1) has not been defined
(0) check_for_lon_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid longitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) Valid longitude names include:
(0) 'lon' 'Lon' 'Longitude' 'LON' 'longitude' 'LONGITUDE' 'hlon' 'long' 'lon_u' 'lon_t' 'xc'

About the projection not perfectly lining up: I have a very explicit
explanation of the grid: Oh, sorry, I just wanted to send you the
grid-explanation, when I figured out, that it says -32degrees. I don't
know, where I got the -30degrees from. (And I worked on it more than a
half day.) So, the projection seems to be perfect, it was my problem.

Heiko