Strings in NCL ?

From: Adolf Stips (adolf.stips AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 00:56:28 MDT

Hi everybody,

1)
by doing some data conversions I have to deal several
times with strings - but are there any functions available
for doing this (finding forinstance the substring "lat" in some longer
string,
extracting only the first 5 characters from a string ....) ??
I couldn't see anything on the reference manuals.

2)
The second problem is related to printing date/time strings and seems
to me like an error.
eg, my string is:

01/02/1999 (12:00)

which in my opinion is a valid time format, when printing it is also okay,
but NCL things different when I try to put it on a postcript plot
(as res@tiMainString = "01/02/1999 (12:00)")
for eg: gsn_csm_contour_map

because from there I get an error
PLCHHQ - CHARACTER NUMBER 35 ()) is not a legal function code

and on the postcript plot it looks like:
01/02/1999 (12*

instead of the colon it prints some kind of asteriks and stops thereafter.

Why is this so, (is this string interpreted as a function ??)
and how I can get rid of it. (this might be related
again to problem 1, because with some stringhandling I could substitute
"bad" characters..)

Thanks, Adolf

Adolf Stips
Inland and Marine Waters unit