Re: Strings in NCL ?

From: Adolf Stips (adolf.stips AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 02:14:08 MDT

Hi,

Just to mention, I found some solution to the ":" problem,
(it is indeed the colon which creates the problem - but in
the COADS time conventions it is used as separator for hh:mm:ss
I think.

ttt=stringtochar(badstring)
badi=ind(ttt .eq. inttochar(58)) ;:
ttt(badi) = inttochar(45) ;-
goodstring=chartostring(ttt)

at least now it will be printed, still I would prefer to keep the ":".

Cheers, Adolf

Adolf Stips wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> 1)
> by doing some data conversions I have to deal several
> times with strings - but are there any functions available
> for doing this (finding forinstance the substring "lat" in some longer
> string,
> extracting only the first 5 characters from a string ....) ??
> I couldn't see anything on the reference manuals.
>
> 2)
> The second problem is related to printing date/time strings and seems
> to me like an error.
> eg, my string is:
>
> 01/02/1999 (12:00)
>
> which in my opinion is a valid time format, when printing it is also
> okay,
> but NCL things different when I try to put it on a postcript plot
> (as res@tiMainString = "01/02/1999 (12:00)")
> for eg: gsn_csm_contour_map
>
> because from there I get an error
> PLCHHQ - CHARACTER NUMBER 35 ()) is not a legal function code
>
> and on the postcript plot it looks like:
> 01/02/1999 (12*
>
> instead of the colon it prints some kind of asteriks and stops
> thereafter.
>
> Why is this so, (is this string interpreted as a function ??)
> and how I can get rid of it. (this might be related
> again to problem 1, because with some stringhandling I could substitute
> "bad" characters..)
>
> Thanks, Adolf

Adolf Stips
Inland and Marine Waters unit