Re: Ocean Masking

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 22:14:45 MDT

    > Hi:
    >
    > I've been using the following code to prevent contours etc being drawn on
    > top of the oceans. I've just noticed that the non-land areas aren't filled
    > with "white" under 2 conditions:
    >
    > 1. When I change the map database from default to "Ncarg4_1" or "highres"

    Hi Maurice,

    The mpAreaMaskingOn resource does not work with the "highres" (also
    known as "rangs") database, and this is advertised in the documentatio
    for this resource:

      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/MapPlot.res.html#mpAreaMaskingOn

    However, it is my understanding that it *should* work for the
    "Ncarg4_1" database. If you could send me a script that I can run,
    I'll take a look.

    > 2. When I change the lat/lon area to be drawn to >90 degrees lat by 90
    > degrees lon. If the area to be plotted is under 90x90 it works OK, but not
    > for larger lat/lon domains.

    I'm not sure I understand in which cases you would have lat values >
    90. I don't know if NCL can even handle ranges outside the -90, 90
    lat range. I'll find out and get back to you.

    > I've tried increasing graphics memory allocation dramatically in my
    > .hluresfile but this doesn't work.

    I don't think this has anything to do with the problem in this case,
    but it was certainly worth a try.

    --Mary