Re: ncl-talk digest, Vol 1 #138 - 3 msgs

From: Xuguang Sun (sunxg007 AT XXXXXX)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 04:41:04 MDT

    > Message: 3
    > Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: Amit Kulkarni <amitkulz AT yahoo.com>
    > To: ncl-talk AT ucar.edu
    > Subject: ttest function documentation
    >
    > Hi:
    >The documentation should be:
    > The documentation states
    > iflag
    > Set to False if the two original samples are assumed
    > to have the same
    > population variance. Set to True if the two original
    > samples are
    > assumed to have different population variances.
    >
    > but in Example 1 the iflag comment states
    > iflag= True ; population variance
    > similar
    > which is which?
     I have discusssed the question about iflag with
    Dennis Shea, and he told me the predocument was
    incorrect, but the document you see now is right. so
    "iflag= True ; population variance
    similar" should be "iflag= True ;
    population variance different", and as for this I have
    confirmed by Numeric Recipe fortran ttest routine.

    > Also, at the end of the page there is this line..
    > xN = wgt_areaave (xEqv, wgty, 1., 0) ; wgty
    > could be gaussian
    > weights
    > Why would one use wgty to weight x?
    >
    > IMO, the documentation needs to be updated, can
    > somebody please confirm
    > a working snippet for the iflag?
    >
    > Thanks

    > http://search.yahoo.com