Re: panel compression

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 16:26:19 MDT

    > Hauss,
    >
    > I don't think the problem is being caused by you using vpHeightF or vpWidthF.
    > If one of your nine plots has a top X-axis, then I think gsn_panel leaves space
    > for the top x-axis on the other eight plots. I have run into this issue when I
    > want to use tiMainString on the top plot of my panel, but not on the others. The
    > only way to get around it that I know of is to just use gsn_text_ndc to add the
    > text manually to the panel plot before you advance the frame:
    > Hope that helps,
    > Adam

    Hauss,

    Adam is correct about gsn_panel leaving space for the other 8
    plots. When you use gsn_panel, the plots are supposed to be the same
    size (or at least very close to the same size). The sizes of all the
    plots in the paneled frame are determined by the size of the first
    plot, so if this one is a different size than all the rest, you will
    see problems like you described above.

    To partially get around this problem, awhile back I added the ability
    to title a paneled plot (so you don't have to do it with
    gsn_add_text). Just use the "txString" resource:

       pnlres = True
       pnlres@txString = "This is a title"
       gsn_panel(wks,plots,(/9,1/),pnlres)

    As for your bottom plot, it is now going to be bigger than your other
    plots. This is probably okay, since no calculations are based on the
    size of the last plot. However, the bottom of it *might* run off the
    bottom of your screen if there's not enough of a margin. To fix this,
    you can add some extra space. Only do this step if you find that the
    default margin is not enough:

       pnlres = True
       pnlres@gsnPanelBottom = 0.1 ; Add a margin at the bottom.
       pnlres@txString = "This is a title"