plotting in polar coordinates

From: Constantine Nenkov (nenkov AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 07:37:31 MST

Dear users,

It seems I cannot find a good example for plotting in polar coordinates
(or in an anulus for that matter). I am developing an anelastic GCM
and need to visualize the vertical/radial distribution of my fields
in a plane which cuts through the center of the sphere. I believe
the available projections of the sphere are of no use in this case,
since they represent in a planar form what's going on the surface,
and I need to know, also, what's going on in the radial direction.
My data is in NetCDF format as:

        field(time,radial,latitude,longitude);

and I want to take cuts through the center of the sphere, and represent
it not in Cartesian (XY) but in Polar (R,THETA) coordinates.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Best regards and thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
Constantine

Constantine Nenkov
  Department of Physics
  University of Toronto
  60 St. George Street, Rm. 609
  Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5S 1A7
  Phone: work 1-416-946-3019
         home 1-416-446-0805
  Fax : 1-416-978-8905
  E-mail: nenkov AT atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca
  http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/nenkov/nenkov.html