Re: missing contour line labels

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 11:18:32 MST

    > Hi paul,
    >
    > i am at purdue and can not look at your script specifically,
    > but I should let you know that NCL's contour line label density is
    > frequently zero for many plots where you think there some be some.
    >
    > this was recently fixed with the addition of some new resources. Check out
    > my contour line label example page at:
    >
    > http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/contourLab.shtml
    >
    > example 5 in particular demos these new resources.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > sm

    Paul,

    If the above example doesn't help in your situation, send me email
    personally and I'll see if there's something I can do.

    One thing I did notice in your script is that gsnMaximize is not being
    set to True. This might make your plot larger in the plotting frame,
    and thus allow more room for contour labels to appear. The contour
    labelling algorithm is a complicated one that looks at distances
    between adjacent contour lines and line gradients (among other things)
    to determine if a contour line should be drawn. By making your plot
    larger, this increases the amount of space between contour lines, and
    thus the algorithm might slip in a few more contour labels.

    --Mary