Re: Python and NCL

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:24:19 MST

    > NCLer's:
    >
    > Some time ago I remember reading about an effort to extend the Python
    > scripting language to include NCL and/or NCAR Graphics, with the NCL/NG
    > libraries added to Python via SWIG. Is this work still ongoing, and if so,
    > has it had much success?
    >
    > Curious,
    >
    > Eric Kemp
    > Northrop Grumman IT TASC

    Dear Eric and others,

    We are pleased to announce that last week we started initial internal
    alpha testing of "PyNGL", which is pronounced "pingle" and stands for
    "Python NCL Graphics Library". The goal of PyNGL is to duplicate much
    of the GSUN plotting functionality in NCL, and allow you full access
    to the hundreds of plot options available at the NCL level.

    The documentation for PyNGL is about 90% finished, and we plan to go
    to our next phase of alpha testing once we finish internal reviews
    of the documentation.

    If anybody is interested in helping us alpha test PyNGL, please send
    me a personal email message. We already have some alpha testers lined
    up, and to those testers that might be reading this message, please be
    aware that we'll be contacting you soon!

    Thanks for your interest.