Re: CMPS iso utility

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 17:04:27 MST

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm having trouble getting the CMPS iso utility to work:
    > http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/csm/support/FH/CMPS/iso.shtml
    >
    > I tried compiling a shared object with WRAPIT and when I ran the
    > iso.scp, iso.ncl etc I get the following error:
    >
    > warning:An error occurred loading the external file ./iso_ocn.so, file
    > not loaded
    > ./iso_ocn.so: undefined symbol: iso_ocean_
    > fatal:syntax error: line 107 in file iso_test.ncl before or near :
    > ISO:
    > -------------^
    >
    > I tried creating a simple fortran test file with WRAPIT and it works in
    > a simple NCL script.
    >
    > Using the unix command 'nm' for listing object files:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > The capital U means undefined symbol.
    >
    > Anyhow, it appears to be an extra _ character added to the entry point
    > of the iso_ocean subroutine, something that is familiar to people who
    > mix fortran and C subroutines.
    >
    > Help!
    > Thanks,
    > Guido.

    Hi Guido,

    There's a known bug in "g77" that causes it to append two underscores
    after routine names that already have one underscore in them. I'm
    assuming that "g77" is being used in this case.

    If so, there's an option you can force WRAPIT to use, that will
    prevent the second underscore from being appended,
    "-fno-second-underscore". I'm not sure what version of WRAPIT you
    have, but you could try editing it ($NCARG_ROOT/bin/WRAPIT) and adding
    this option to the appropriate "fopts" variable. Let me know via a
    personal email if you need help with this.

    Meanwhile, I'll check with the WRAPIT guru and see what he thinks
    about adding this as a permanent feature of WRAPIT.

    --Mary
    haley AT ucar.edu