Re: Looking for *simple* example of annotating a lat-lon plot

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 08:16:24 MDT

    john,

    what problem are you having? A better choice might be to use polymarkers
    rather than text. there is a + polymarker

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/markers.gif

    here is an example of adding polymarkers to a page:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml

    see example 3

    sylvia

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, John Filipkowski wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to plot a map of the Atlantic Ocean, with some points annotated.
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to use--I'm trying to plot a "+" sign at the latitude
    > and longitude specified below.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    >
    > ;================================================;
    > ; newsat.ncl
    > ;================================================;
    > load "$NCARG_ROOT/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
    > load "$NCARG_ROOT/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
    > ; ================================================;
    > begin
    > ;************************************************
    > ; create plot
    > ;************************************************
    > wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","sat") ; open a pdf file
    > gsn_define_colormap(wks,"testcmap") ; choose colormap
    > i = NhlNewColor(wks,0.8,0.8,0.8) ; add gray to map
    >
    > res = True ; plot mods desired
    > xyres = True
    >

    > res@mpProjection = "Satellite" ; choose map projection
    > res@mpCenterLonF = -75. ; choose center lon
    > res@mpCenterLatF = 35. ; choose center lat
    >
    > res@mpCenterRotF = -90. ;
    >
    > res@mpLimitMode = "LatLon" ; required
    > res@mpMinLatF = 8. ; min lat
    > res@mpMaxLatF = 65. ; max lat
    > res@mpMinLonF = -110. ; min lon
    > res@mpMaxLonF = -40. ; max lon
    >
    > res@pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always" ; turn on automatic tickmarks
    > res@mpGridAndLimbOn = True ; turn on lat/lon lines
    >
    > res@mpGridLatSpacingF = 5 ; Lat spacing (degrees)
    > res@mpGridLonSpacingF = 5 ; Lon spacing (degrees)
    >
    > ;res@mpGridMaskMode = "MaskLand" ; Mask grid over land.
    > res@mpGridMaskMode = "MaskNone" ; Mask grid over land.
    > res@mpPerimOn = False ; Turn off perimeter
    >
    > res@gsnMaximize = True ; enlarge plot
    > ;res@tiMainString = "Example of Zooming a Sat Projection"
    > ;res@gsnAddCyclic = False
    >
    > res@gsnFrame = False
    > ;
    > ; Now plot a point indicating 46.77 N 48.016 W
    > ;
    > ; first, set parameter so wmlabs uses lat/lon instead of x/y
    > wmsetp("ezf",0)
    >
    > plot = gsn_csm_map(wks,res)
    >
    > gsn_text_ndc(wks,"+", 46.77, -48.016,res)
    > frame(wks)
    >
    > end
    >

    > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
    > Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
    > If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
    > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

    Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys AT ucar.edu
    NCAR CGD/CSEG PHN: 303-497-1720
    1850 Table Mesa Drive FAX: 303-497-1333
    Boulder CO 80305