Re: smoothing

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 11:11:53 MDT

    > Hello. Is there any difference between smth9 and smooth92d?
    > Is there a better smoother to use on 0.5 degree data that is
    > noisy? I was hoping to smooth over more grid points, not
    > just 9 points since the resolution is so fine.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Mike,

    The functions smth9 and smooth92d are basically identical, except that
    smth9 should run faster, and it has an additional option that allows
    you to indicate whether you want the end points smoothed.

    As far as I know, we don't have any other smoothers. However, if
    somebody has a Fortran or C routine that does even more smoothing,
    maybe they'd be willing to share it, and you could then create a
    shared object that will allow you to call it from NCL.