Re: Contour line labels: at the boundaries?

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 10:33:18 MST

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Christian Pagé wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > In NCL, I cannot find how to draw line labels at the boundaries ONLY, because
    > I have colorfill data I don't want to overlay with labels, though I want some
    > info on contour line values. I have one field with a contour colorfill, then
    > two fields with contour lines overlayed. The best would be to have the
    > contour line labels of the two fields contoured with lines, then the
    > colorfill overlay, then the lines of the two contoured field on top of
    > everything. Is it possible to do that?
    >
    > Many thanks,

    Hi Christian,

    I've read your message a couple of times to see if I understand what
    you are asking for. By "line labels at the boundaries only", do you
    mean you only want contour lines labeled if they are near the X/Y axes
    boundaries of the plot?

    Just as a side, there are some "cnXXXXDrawOrder" resources you can set
    to control when line contours, color filled contours, and labels are
    drawn with respect to each other. The three phases (in order of when
    they are drawn) are "PreDraw", "Draw", and "PostDraw".

    For example, if you wanted to make sure that the lines from one
    contour plot were drawn after the filled contours of another plot
    (this is assuming the plots will eventually be overlaid on each other,
    which you have to do in order for these DrawOrder resources to work
    together), then you would set the "cnLineDrawOrder" resource to
    "PostDraw" for the line contour plot, and "cnFillDrawOrder" to
    "PreDraw" for the filled contour plot. You can also control the label
    draw order with "cnLabelDrawOrder".

    If this doesn't answer your question (which I'm guessing it probably
    won't since your request seemed a little more specific), then please
    email me personally and we'll figure it out.

    Cheers,

    --Mary