Re: Contents of ncl-talk digest 1. Downsizing a ncdf file (Adolf Stips)

From: Saji Hameed (saji AT hawaii.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:05:54 MST

Adolf,

Perhaps, this may be a solution to your problem. Do a running average,
in your case, a 3 -point running mean, first over longitude and then
latitude or whichever way.

 Suppose your original data is over (x1,y1); (x2,y2); (x3,y3) ... etc
A 3-point centered running mean is applied to this on the longitude
dimension. Then point (x2,y2) of the processed array is an average over
the 3 longitudes, x1,x2,x3. The running mean over the lat-direction then
makes it an area-average. (you should, if needed, weigh these averages
appropriately to take care of area-changes with latitude). Writing out
every 3rd value in longitude and latitude should give you the regridded
15x15 values.

saji

Saji N. Hameed, Assistant Researcher,
IPRC-SOEST, 2525 Correa Road, Univ. of Hawaii,
Honolulu, HI 96822, U.S.A
http://iprc.soest.hawaii.edu/~saji
tel.: (808) 956 9534 , fax.: (808) 956 9425