Re: lonFlip

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 14:13:07 MDT

    I should be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.
    >The function lonFlip is used on variables that have lon as one of its
    >dimensions.
    >If I use lonFlip on the dimension "lon" itself, instead of the variable
    >is this likely to cause problems?
    >
    >That is, if I do the following
    >
    >LON = datain->lon
    >LON = 180*LON/pi
           ^^^^^^^^^^ I assume LON is in radians if u r doing this
    >lon = lonFlip(LON)
    >
    >Then as I read in several variables, I do
    >T&lon = lon
    >
    >where T is dimensioned time, lev, lat,lon
    >
    >Should the above work OK?
    No. The correct way is:

       T = f->T
       T = lonFlip(T) ; this works on *BOTH* the data [T]
                       ; *and* coordinate variable

    ----
    The following is incorrect
    ----
       T   = f->T
       LON = f->lon
       LON = 180*LON/pi   ; convert radians to degrees
       LON@units = "degrees_east"
       lon = lonFlip(LON)

       T&lon = lon    ; changes coordinates BUT *NOT* the data array

    good luck