Re: External Fortran Subroutines on SGI Altix running Linux

From: Kate Hedstrom (kate AT arsc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 15:32:30 MDT

Hi Hauss,

I don't know for this specific computer, but I've seen something
similar before. The question for you is whether this system supports
more than one kind of binary: 32-bit vs. 64-bit, for instance. These
tend not to play nicely together. Do you have a 64-bit version of NCL?
Did WRAPIT compile consistently with your NCL?

Or maybe it's incompatible in some other way: two different Fortran
compilers, for instance.

Kate

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 01:24:09PM -0700, Hauss Reinbold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We recently installed NCL on an SGI Altix machine running Linux. We've
> used it to successfully, make plots, read in netCDF and GRIB files and
> so forth. The one thing we have a problem with is including Fortran
> subroutines. WRAPIT seems to create the .so file fine, but the ncl
> script chokes on the external line:
>
> external EX "./flamep.so"
>
> It gives the error:
>
> warning:An error occurred loading the external file ./flamep.so, file
> not loaded
> ./flamep.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> I have run this on a sun server running NCL, the exact same script, and
> it works fine. I have checked the path and syntax endlessly, even
> entering the full path of the .so file. I suspect it could be a
> problem with how we installed NCL on our Altix. But why would it just
> be a path error every time instead of some sort of library issue or
> segmentation fault? The file is there, why can't NCL see it? The
> other NCL functions that read files find them just fine. Any thoughts
> on why an SGI server running Linux would have a problem solely with
> finding the .so file for external fortran subroutines?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hauss Reinbold

Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
kate@arsc.edu       University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Phone: 907-450-8678