Re: ncvarget: ncid 5: Index exceeds dimension bound

From: David Ian Brown (dbrown AT
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 17:23:51 MDT

Hi Mike,

I was able to read the file as you sent it to Dennis
Shea without any problems
using current versions of NCL both on Solaris and Mac OS X.

I wonder what version of NCL you are using. I do notice in the file
that you have 2D coordinate
variables "lat" and "lon" both with dimensions "lat" and "lon". Prior
to mid 2004 this would have been
a problem because NCL used to assume that variables with the same name
as a dimension were 1D
coordinate variables. I don't remember for sure, but the error message
you are getting may have been
a symptom of this problem. If this is the case you may just need to
get a newer version of NCL.

If you are actually using a current version of NCL, then the next
question would be what system are you
running on?

On Jul 21, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Mike wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to work with a ruc file using NCL. It was converted from
> .grb to netCDF using NCL(possibly a different version).  I keep
> getting the error:
> ncvarget: ncid 5: Index exceeds dimension bound
> ncvarget: ncid 5: Index exceeds dimension bound
> It gets hungup on the line: in = addfile("","r")
> I tried ncdump and using ncview to look at the file and the
> file seems alright.
> Any help would be appreciated!
> -Mike
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
> ncl-talk mailing list

ncl-talk mailing list