1-D version of local_max/local_min

From: Saji N. Hameed (saji AT hawaii.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 15:01:13 MDT

    I am trying to find the local maxima of a 1-D time series and looked
    around for available functions within NCL to do this. The closest I came
    to were the functions local_max and local_min are for a 2-D array. It
    would be nice to have a similar function for a 1-D array.

    Saji N. Hameed
    Assistant Researcher
    International Pacific Research Center,
    2525 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822