Re: Could NCL do some classified post map?

From: Joel Norris <jnorris_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:19:57 -0800 (PST)

Use the gsn_polymarker function while setting gsMarkerSizeF according to
the variable value.

> Hello,
>
> I am making a map of trend distribution for some seperate points.
> I wanna know if NCL can do some classified posted map just as in Grads
> or other software. (The classified posted effect is that using some
> symbols to represent variable with the their size varying according to
> the value of variables)
>
> Thanks
> Leo_Aries
>

> ======= 2006-01-16 14:00:18 您在来信中写道:=======
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am appending a modified script. The output looks ok to me.
>>
>>The reason for so many "little holes" is that you chose
>>a color map ["testcmap"] that has white right in the
>>middle of the data. This lead to both valid values
>>and _FillValue [missing values] to be white [transparent].
>>
>>It does look like their are more missing values at higher latitudes.
>>
>>I also modified the ascii data you were outputting.
>>
>>good luck
>>
>>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, David Atkinson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am trying to read an HDF4 file with QuikScat marine winds.
>>> I have a reader that largely works and seems to plot what is a
>>> reasonable result, that is, winds over the ocean and not over
>>> the land. However the windfield data are interspersed with little
>>> holes where the wind value drops to zero. When plotted, there
>>> is a certain pattern to the drop outs that makes it look like some
>>> sort of offset problem in lat/long, however the land boundaries
>>> are correct; these would also be messed up if there were an
>>> offset. I'll check with JPL as well, because it could be a Quikscat
>>> or HDF writing issue from their end, but in the chance it is an
>>> ncl issue, I am posting it here to see if anyone has an idea or if
>>> they have worked with this format before and have seen this.
>>>
>>> The ncl program to read and subset the data is here:
>>> http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~datkinson/QuikScat_reading/read_HDF_quikscat.ncl
>>>
>>> and a test data file from JPL is here:
>>> http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~datkinson/QuikScat_reading/QS_XWGRD3_2003120.20031231631.hdf
>>>
>>> Thanks for any ideas,

>         致
> 礼!
>

>         Leo Xiang
>         Leo_Aries_at_tom.com
>           2006-01-19

Joel Norris       Assistant Professor of Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
Scripps Institution of Oceanography     email: jnorris_at_ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego     phone: (858) 822-4420
9500 Gilman Drive DEPT 0224             fax: (858) 534-8561
La Jolla, CA 92093-0224                 http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~jnorris/
Delivery Address:   Scripps Institution of Oceanography
                    8810 Shellback Way
                    Room 440, Nierenberg Hall
                    La Jolla, CA 92037