Re: a question about color for overlapped plot

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:23:49 -0700

Hi Xianglei,

When you set your colormap to the BlueRed colormap, and then ask NCL to
grab the color green, NCL will try to get the color in your colormap
closest to green. In your case that would be black. There are two
possible solutions to this:
1) Use the function NhlNewColor to add the color green to your colormap.
gsn_define_colormap(wks,"BlueRed")
newcolor = NhlNewColor(wks,0.,1.0,0.)

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/NhlNewColor.shtml

2) Merge another colormap that has green in it with the BlueRed colormap
using gsn_merge_colormaps:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_merge_colormaps.shtml

Specifically, refer to the first example. Instead of specifiying gray
colors specify a green color or two. Remember that NCL has a 256 color
limit, so in your case you can only add 2 colors to your colormap..

Good luck,
Adam