Re: animation of cotour plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:04:52 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Debasish PaiMazumder wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have input file of variable W (time, x, y) where time=50, X=40, Y=40
>
> I want to see the animation of the contour plot of W with respect to time.
>
> So I have used the program cn08n.ncl
> <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/BasicExamples/nclex/contourplot/cn08n.
> ncl> from
>

> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/BasicExamples/Contour/cn08.shtml
>

> and I have got output file "cn08n.ncgm". But I am struggling to convert this
>
> output file to see the animation.
>
> Could you please tell me how I will see the animation from the above output
> file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Debasish

Debasish,

You can use the "idt" tool that comes with the NCL distribution.
"idt" only works on NCGM files, which you already have. Type:

    idt cn08n.ncgm

This should bring up two X windows: an idt informational window (the
smaller of the two windows) and an idt control panel. The control
panel is the one that will eventually show the animation.

If you just want to interactively step through the frames of your NCGM
file, then click on the button with the single right arrow.

If you want to see a smooth animation of your NCGM, then first click
on the "animate" button. This will cause your images to start getting
loaded into memory (this is *not* the animation taking place
yet). When "animate" is done loading your images, your idt
informational window will say something like:

    Display(0): Done loading 20 images

At this point, you can view the animation by clicking on the button
with the double right arrows. If the animation goes by too quickly,
then click on the "delay" button and enter a number like "10". Then,
because "idt" is now at the end of your animation, you will need to
hit the button with the double left arrows in order to rewind it
first.

For more information on idt, please see:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/idt.shtml