NCL & UDUNITS on Cygwin

From: Michael Toews <mwtoews_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:11:30 -0700

Hi,
I'm curious why the UDUNITS-related functions do not work on the NCL
build (Version 4.2.0.a033) for Cygwin/X? When I try the ut_calendar
example, I get:
fatal:Undefined identifier: (ut_calendar) is undefined, can't continue
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3

UDUNITS can compile just fine under Cygwin/X (contrary to what many
documents say), and the library works for ncview. The trick to compiling
UDUNITS is to first painfully compile f2c (instructions here
http://www.seanet.com/~bradbell/f2cAD/f2cinstall_frame1.htm ) then
configure, compile and install UDUNITS like this:
./configure CC=gcc CFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
make
make install

I'm guessing that NCL for Cygwin/X was compiled without the UDUNITS
library, but I'm not sure why this is necessary. Is there any way to
turn UDUNITS support for NCL on?
Thanks.
+mt