Re: curve fit-in scatter, not regression.

From: Fred Clare <fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:20:24 -0600

I had several off-line exchanges with Yi Wang and here is the
final communication:

It appears that there is no NCL function that will do a least-squares
quadratic fit to scattered data. If you are conversant with
matrix methods, you can apply the singular values obtained
from a singular value decomposition to obtain the coefficients
of a polynomial fit. You can get an SVD using:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/svd_lapack.shtml

If a spline fit will do, try using ftcurv. There are a couple
of examples at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ftcurv.shtml

Or try ftcurvs:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ftcurvs.shtml

We have put it on our list to provide a higher-level least-squares
fit function.

[Breaking news] Dennis Shea has dusted off an old copy of
FSPOLY that we should be able to get into the package soon.

Fred Clare