Re: corlorbar in contour plots

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:23:36 -0600 (MDT)

> I am making a figure with a panel containing 4 contour plots of soil
>moisture for different months of the year. Everything is working fine,
>but I am getting different colorbars for different plots (i.e the
>colorbar for one month scales from 0.2-0.8, for the other it scales from
>0.25-0.7 and so on).
> Is there some way to constrain the colorbar so that the contour plots
>use the same colorbar values ?
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml

see, for example, example 3

key aspects:

  res_at_gsnDraw = False ; don't draw
  res_at_gsnFrame = False ; don't advance frame
  res_at_lbLabelBarOn = False ; turn off individual cb's

; to have a common label bar,all plots should be set to the same interval
; b/c the label bar is drawn by default from the interval of the first plot.

  res_at_cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"
  res_at_cnMinLevelValF = 0.1
  res_at_cnMaxLevelValF = 0.9
  res_at_cnLevelSpacingF = 0.1

; create panel
  resP = True ; modify the panel plot
  resP_at_txString = "A plot with a common color bar"
  resP_at_gsnPanelLabelBar = True ; add common colorbar
  resP_at_lbLabelFontHeightF = 0.007 ; make labels smaller
  gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/2,2/),resP) ; now draw as one plot

good luck