Re: HDF-EOS Files and Running Averages

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:30:33 -0600 (MDT)

> Currently, I have a series of files in HDF-EOS format. Each file contains
> data for 1 day. For each file, I what to replace the data values (for a
> particular variable) at every grid point with its 5-day running average
> value. The new values would need to be written to another HDF-EOS file. Thus,
> each new file would retain the same information (metadata, map projection,
> etc.) contained in the original file, except that the data values are now
> 5-day running average values for that particular day. The fill values (-9999)
> must be ignored during the calculations. Does anyone have an NCL script that
> will perform this task? Otherwise, could anyone provide guidance on how to
> perform this task?

NCL can read/write the HDF-SDS [Scientific Data Set] 'flavor' of HDF.

AFAIK, it can read HDF-EOS but can not write that format. :-(

---
If NCL could write HDF-EOS you use
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/runave_Wrap.shtml
and do something like (let: x(time,lat,lon)):
     fio = addfile ("foo.hdfeos", "w")   ; note "w"
     x   = fio->X
     x5  = runave_Wrap( x(lat|:,lon|:,time|:), 5, opt)   ; opt=0 or 1
then when writing to the file
     fio->X = (/ x5(time|:,lat|:,lon|:) /)